Monday, November 4, 2013

As Cold As it Gets

 
 
 

Last week was Halloween!  John was a race car driver who enjoyed racing to every house for Trick-or-Treat and Edie stayed home with Dad to pass out candy.  Proud Mom moment: John said thank you at every house.                                                                                                                                                                                        

I finished up week two of Body Beast and focused on stocking the freezer.  I'm no stranger to freezer cooking.  It's genius!  What's that? You've never heard of it?  How do you live without it?!  My technique is to prepare dishes ahead of time and fill up the freezer.  Then, I take the next month or so off from working hard in the kitchen because who really wants to be in there longer than they have to?  Yes I still go to the store but I don't have the big cart full and hefty receipt to go with it.  Instead, I just replenish fresh fruits and veggies.  Sometimes people call it Once A Month Cooking or OAMC.



 

 Fully Stocked Freezer                                                
 

When I first began freezer cooking it was in preparation for baby #1.  I filled the freezer with meals I thought would freeze well and were very filling which was... Italian!  I made lasagna, manicotti, baked ziti and stuffed shells.  It was great but... fattening.  After that I expeimented with other casserole dishes for the freezer and read a few cookbooks on it from the library.  Then, I decided to try Slow cooker freezer meals.  When a fried introduced me to this post from savingyoudinero.com my mind was blown!  I quickly assembled the meals in gallon sized freezer bags then neatly stacked them in the freezer.  Each morning, after my cup of coffee, I would select a bag from the freezer, run it under warm water for a few seconds so that I could release it from the bag, then plop it in the slow cooker.  8 hours later... BAM, home cooked meal. 

But, my problem with this method was meat...meat...and more MEAT!  I just didn't want to be that big of a carnivore and it certainly adds up on the grocery bill.  Alas, I compiled a list or vegan freezer meals.  Last week I made multiples of each recipe, one per day.  We ate it for dinner and I put the rest in the freezer.  We have over a months worth of food in there now.  I won't make only these 5 meals the whole month because there will be times that I just want other things.  But It feels so good to know that there is always SOMETHING to fall back on. 

Making freezer meals really frees up time during the day which is good because my workout program Body Beast is in full swing.  I am also busy forming my next T25 challenge group that is set to start on November 18th.  Any extra time I have now can be devoted to reading books, singing and playing guitar with the kids.  I have continued my journey of learning one new song per week.  Here I am singing my version of Patty Griffin's "As Cold As it Gets" which I think is a perfect title for my prepared winter meals in the freezer. 


 
VEGAN FREEZER MEAL PLAN
 
I love this dish.  It's filling, flavorful and unlike any other dish I've had before.  But it's involved and takes me a long time to make.  I multiplied this recipe by 4.  I found that since it takes so much effort anyway I might as way multiply it and have it premade for future enjoyment. 
 
This dish is super easy and just as yummy as the real thing.  My family just calls it "sloppy joes" because we are not that snobby.  After a big pot is made et it cool then fill quart sized freezer bags and lay flat in freezer to stack.  Once frozen you can turn them on there side to fit better if you need to.
 
The 3 recipes were taken from a website called EllensKitchen.com.  You can find them as part of this list here.  I found these recipes to be bland so I doctored them up with added seasoning as I saw fit.
 


4 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cups mushrooms, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cups sunflower seeds
1 head cabbage, shredded
4 cups tomato juice or tomato puree
Optional sweet-sour tang:
1/3 cup brown sugar (add to sauce)
3 tablespoons cider or rice wine vinegar (add to sauce)
1 cup raisins (add to rice with mushrooms)
In deep, heavy pot saute onion, pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender. Add garlic and seeds. Add rice.
In large pan layer 1 cups juice or puree,then 1/3 of cabbage (approx.) then 2 cups rice and vegetable mixture.
Repeat twice. Pour remaining juice or puree over top. Cover and freeze.
To serve, place directly into 350 degrees oven from freezer. Bake 1 1/2 - 2 hours or more until cooked through.

 

 

OAMC Tamale-Style Corn Casserole [x3]


3 cups corn meal
1/2 cups soy flour
8 cups water
salt to taste (up to 1 tablespoon)
6 cups whole kernel corn
2 cups chopped olives
1 cup onion
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cups diced green chilis, or more to taste (optional)
4 cups cooked beans (can be cold, or drained, rinsed canned beans.) Optional (not on shopping list); 2 cups shredded cheese, added as topping last 20 minutes of cooking
Mix the cornmeal and the soy flour together thoroughly. Boil water. Add corn meal mix. Cook over medium or lower heat until the consistency of mush, about 40 minutes, stirring very frequently to prevent scorching or sticking and set aside.
Saute onions, add corn, olives, and diced green chilis with tomato sauce over medium high heat until onion is transparent. If mixture boils down too much add water. Stir in the cooked beans.
In foil-lined or oiled casserole dish (4 quart)(or 2 9x13 pans)(or 4 8x8 pans), layer half of the mush. Pour vegetable mixture over this. Top by spreading on the remaining corn mush mixture. Cover, freeze.
Place directly into 350 degree oven from freezer. Bake 2 hours or until hot and cooked through.



If thawed overnight in the refrigerator, the large dish takes about 1 hour 15 minutes.
*I followed the cormeal mush recipe included on the cormeal container instead.  For the filling I added jalpeno and anahein peppers as well as cumin and cayenne pepper seasoning.  The next time I make it I will use less cornmeal per casserole to allow more filling.
 

OAMC Stuffed Peppers for the Freezer


8-10 large green peppers (or tomatoes or onions if you prefer)
4 cups cooked grain, rice, barley, millet, quinoa
4 teaspoons parsley
1 tablespoon
Italian seasoning
3 cups tomato sauce (half for stuffing, half for topping)
1 cup jicama, chopped (may substitute 2 cans drained sliced water chestnuts)
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 peeled cucumber, chopped
4 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup sunflower seeds

Hollow peppers (or tomatoes or onions); steam until semi-soft. Steam by placing colander in heavy pot over 2-3 inches of boiling water. Put green peppers in colander to cool.
Mix remaining ingredients with half of tomato sauce. Stuff vegetables.
Place in zippered plastic freezer bags to freeze. Freeze remaining sauce in separate zippered freezer bag bag. To serve, place stuffed peppers in oiled casserole dish, thaw overnight in refrigerator. Cover with remaining sauce. Cover dish. Bake at 350 degrees, just until hot.
Try this at least once with the cucumber, even if you have not had cooked cucumber before. The cucumber provides a little moisture, which is a benefit in cooking, adding to the moisture of the mixture in the pepper.


*I added extra sauce and Italian seasoning
 
I like to put these meals into smaller casserole dishes.  Often times I buy the set of 3 small foil containers from the dollar store.  The smaller servings work better for my family because I don't like having all of the leftovers from a big lasagna that we have to eat for 3 days. 
 
Now that the freezer is full I am all set to continue the Body Beast program without having to fuss over dinner and I have time to form another T25 challenge group set to begin on November 18th.  E-mail me if you would like to join.  It's the perfect time to start a new workout routine and help prepare yourself against any holiday weight gain.  I am only taking 5 people for the group.
 
https://extranet.securefreedom.com/MillionDollarBody/csShopping/ShoppingCart_Detail.asp?PriceID=492960&Cat=Challenge Packs|ALL
 

1 comment: